[time-nuts] Lead acid battery noise levels

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Thu Jul 11 17:48:39 UTC 2013

But Hg batteries are So Moot! We're simply not allowed to have them or
make them. Nanny won't have them in the house.
I have a couple of Accutron clocks that would love to see a mercury cell.

ed breya
> Second attempt at emailing again:
>
> NiCd batteries should have the lowest noise for their size due to low
> resistance, but if you look at ever-lower frequency, the Hg should be
> superior since it has the most stable voltage with time and
> temperature. Drift (including self-discharge) and temperature
> variation response can appear as very low frequency noise independent
> of the other noise sources and operating conditions. Hg batteries are
> so stable that they were commonly used as voltage references or to
> power small circuits without any additional regulation needed.
>
> Ed
>

>  >Mike Feher wrote:
>
> A long time ago, when I was concerned about a phase noise issue, I found
> an
> old NBS article. It was on measuring phase noise and included a
> schematic of
> an ultra-low noise amplifier. In that amplifier they used Mercury
> batteries.
> I also glanced at the referenced article, stating NiCad is the lowest
> noise,
> and, NiCads were available for a long time, yet they used Mercury.
> Regards
> - Mike
>  >

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road