[time-nuts] Lead acid battery noise levels

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Jul 11 23:30:34 UTC 2013

Hi

Ok, let's put some numbers on this:

1) The original post was about an OCXO (as opposed to a VCXO or VCO).
2) One would *assume* that only stable OCXO's are of interest to this group… :)….
3) Single ovens with 1x10^-9 per percent delta V are "not so stable", parts with 1x10^-11 per percent are quite possible.
4) Supply voltages around 12 volts are pretty common
5) < 1.0x10^-13 at one second is doing pretty good on an OCXO

From that one can do some math.

One percent of 12 volts is 120 mv.
One mv will be < 1.0x10^-11 on the "not so stable" OCXO and < 1.0X10^-14 on the stable one.

Is your supply good to 1 mv? Most of my lab supplies are. If so, that's probably good enough. If you have a poor supply, many common 3 terminal regulators are amazingly stable under normal lab conditions. I *know* that my batteries aren't stable to 1 mv over days with an OCXO pulling current off of them. Regulator changes voltage with temperature? So do batteries and OCXO's and lab supplies.

Bob