[time-nuts] Spectrum Analyzer Suggestions

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Jul 14 03:33:58 UTC 2013

Well Perry,

You could consider an IFR A-7550 SpecAn. They are not HP but still a
decent little SpecAn that is just a bit bigger then a TEK-453 scope. It
covers from 100KHz to 1GHz.

Shop carefully to make sure you get one with atleast the internal
tracking generator option. DO NOT rely on pictures because the tracking
generator connector is there even if no option. There is also an
internal receiver option, but that only works when you are at zero span
and truthfully, not all that useful, but nice to have. It also has an
internal battery option, however, the battery pack is quite expensive
and unless you actually need it, it is a complete waste of money. If it
comes with a battery, expect it to not be in very good shape. The
battery pack is made up of large round 2 volt lead acid cells and when
left discharged will leak acid.

Bill....WB6BNQ