[time-nuts] UT+ Software for Linux?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:27:43 UTC 2013

The goal was only to run the UT+ software on a Linux system.  This is very
easy, you make it sound complex. The UT+ software is an .EXE file

The only thing that would be running inside the VM is Windows (Likely a
very old version) and the above software.

NEVER try and run NTP inside a VM.  It just does NOT work.  NTP needs to
run on a real hardware system not a VM image.  OK, it will run but the time
keeping will very poor.

There are several free options,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 8:07 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Boy I lost the thread also. Though I like what I think I am reading.
> VMware is a hypervisor and it is free. What I think I am reading is there
> is a UT+ with NTP image on a OS already existing as as a VMimage.
> Clearly if the only thing you want to run is the windows or linux NTP
> server you don't really need the VMware.
> One other note if you wanted to run a VMimage on your windows system you
> need either VMware workstation $249 when on sale or VMware player. FREE.
> Hmmm which one to pick.
> I actually run VMware ESXi so anytime there is a VMimage that has much of
> the muss and fuss complete I am interested.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM, mike cook <mc235960 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have lost the thread here but if not already mentioned, there is the
> > driver for Oncore receivers in ntp already, or if you are happy with the
> > win apps you could run them in Linux under Wine or VirtualBox.
> >
> > Le 14 juil. 2013 à 02:05, Bob Stewart a écrit :
> > could run them in a linux box
> > > OK, this isn't as easy as I thought it would be.  Is there any Linux
> > software to interface with the UT+, or will I have to swap out a disk and
> > boot Windows to get the eval software from Synergy-GPS to work?  I see
> some
> > primitive source code on the net but getting anything useful out of that
> > would be a project I just don't want to divert to at the moment.
> > >
> > > Bob - AE6RV

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California