[time-nuts] GPSDO - Does it work?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Mon Jul 15 09:47:53 UTC 2013

It is normal for a counter to have a +/- 1 count of wander. Then you
have to consider the reference for that counter. When you connect a
GPSDO on the input of a counter with its internal reference used as a
timing source, you are measuring that internal reference accuracy and
stability, not the GPSDO's one. To verify a new GPSDO it is necessary
to have another (know good) GPSDO or a Cs reference. Missing that, you
can use the PPS output of the GPS receiver but then an average process
is needed: say, a digital 'scope with the display persistence function
and... wait a lot of time (or use a high resolution TI counter and the
TimeLab software).