[time-nuts] GPS 18 behavior

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 23 04:02:00 UTC 2013

On 7/22/13 5:48 AM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> You might want to look at what these guys have done for 40 years or so. Www.geophysical.com

ground penetrating radar doesn't work very well in the typical disaster
rubble enviroment which has uneven surfaces and a lot of random
scattering in the medium. It works great dragging it across a smooth
field looking for buried pipes, drums of hazmat, buried bodes, etc.  It
depends on the impulse response of the medium and target being
relatively "clean".  GPR also doesn't typically have the ability to
detect moving targets with displacements of 1mm (which is what
heartbeats are).

Our scenario has an impulse response that looks like a Rayleigh
distribution with a half power width of about 20% of the distance, and a
very long trailing tail.

The CW radar approach we have works great through rubble and collapsed
buildings, etc., we're just looking to improve it somewhat with coarse
range and azimuth binning, and to synchronize data takes from multiple
sensors dispersed around the site.  The latter is really "synchronized
well enough to match heartbeats", so "milliseconds" is good enough.