[time-nuts] distirbuted sync

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 06:03:11 UTC 2013

You can prototype a system with off the shelf parts  get a few
computers, old notebook computers, Raspburry "pI' or repurposed
routers, what ever you have.   Connect a Trimble Thunderbolt GPS to
each one. Each one runs NTP. Connect them all to a isolated network.
 It could be wired, WiFi or whatever.

Let's say you have three systems.  When all three can se the sky they
have good timing.    Now cover lone, two or all three GPS antenna and
you are stil doing OK for a while.  With all thre antennacovered you
ar will still have the system time sync'd even it it drifes from real
UTC by a few tens of milliseconds.  But if just one of the three can
see the sky for a little while the time gets corected in all systems

You can't use Eithernet in the real system but you can rig some other
media.  Blue Toth works over a short distance but you have radar.   It
seems like you should be able to use the radar for data
communications.   Radars if they ca hear the echo at all would be
senitive for very long range lateral communications.

You say you don't want more radios on the devices so just use the
radar signal for low data rate local communications.   Put TCP/IP
stack on it

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California