[time-nuts] NTP to discipline Raspberry Pi

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 25 03:46:51 UTC 2013

james at peroulas.com said:
> Any ideas on where I can look to track down the discrepancy?

Dig out the kernel sources.

There are 2 sources of error.  One is the calibration routine.  It's
comparing the CPU cycle counter with another counter that runs at a specified
frequency.  I think recent kernels have cleaned up this area but it used to
generate a lot of noise.  Boot a system several times and you will get
several different answers, off by up to 100 ppm.

Grep your log file looking for things like:
  Detected 430.931 MHz processor.
See if you get the same answer each time you boot.

The other possible error is just the main timekeeping routines.  Maybe some
constant is off a bit.  Unless somebody does your type of measurement, nobody
would notice as long as it was close enough that NTP could fix it.  (Who but
a time-nut would care if the crystal was off by 33 ppm or 43 ppm?)

> but it seldom departs from -33ppm by more than 1 or 2 ppm...

What do you expect?  Ballpark is 1 ppm/C.  How stable is your temperature?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.