[time-nuts] RS 232

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jul 26 16:16:46 UTC 2013

Hi

The only other thing I have seen done on opto isolated RS-232 is to add a protection diode on the "transmit" opto output transistor. There's a spec that says you have to be able to apply +/- 25 volts to any pin weather the device is powered up or not. If you want high(er) speed you can put a pair of transistors on the output of the opto to boost the drive current. Not needed at 9600 baud, probably useful  if you are trying to go > 100K baud.

Bob