[time-nuts] Spec Analyzer Redux

Perry Sandeen sandeenpa at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 16:35:16 UTC 2013

List,

Wow!  Thanks
for all the good advice shared on and off list.

I guess that I didn’t make clear is that I really
don’t need anything below 100 KHz. I bought my 3585a for its upper range to 40
MHz for use with HF receivers.

One great idea suggested that I never thought of
is to get a scope cart.  That may turn
out to be the easiest solution.

Your advice brings a few more questions and also I’ll
share what I found out during my hours of ebay browsing.

First, I didn’t want to purchase anything not from
North America because of shipping issues. I never looked the Rigor as it was
out of my budget range.  [It does seem
nice.  Is it China’s answer to HP and
Tek?]  The ATTEN series, while
inexpensive, didn’t seem to have the sensitivity of the better known brands
plus being from China.

Tine $1000 range is a bit iffy for analyzers.  When one jumps to the $1500 range there seems
to be a plethora of choices.

Someone suggested a HP 8568a and no matter how
good it is it looks like I’m going from one large mass to another.  The Agilent L1500A seems very nice but
probably above my price point.

What seems to be the best fit at the moment are a
couple Tektronix units. Decisions, Decisions.

All the advice given will help me decide on making
another  purchase.

Regards,

Perrier