[time-nuts] GPS Spoofing

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Sat Jul 27 12:45:49 UTC 2013

About 25 years ago, I bought a bunch of LORAN-C receiver boards at the
Appelco bankrupcy auction. Despite zero doc, I got a couple running.

They had to 8085 uPs, one to compute the TDs and a second,on a daughter
board, to compute Lat/Long. The unit would repeatably hit my location w/in
a couple of hundred feet.

A trivial uP in a box could easily subtract the GPS and LORAN positions
and sound an alarm if they differed by more than a set limit, and sound an
alarm.

Furthermore, I suspect the cost to operate a set of worldwide LORAN chains
is far less than launching a single GPS bird.

-John