[time-nuts] More pictures of the mystery Collins Ru

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Jul 28 23:54:47 UTC 2013

Hi

….

There was a suitcase Rb that was used to sync up Have Quick's on the ground. It was a Magnavox product rather than Collins. The idea was to get the radios netted up without *anything* going over the air. Since the radios used TCXO's, sync was fairly loose. I suspect that tightened up as they went through the various versions ...

Bob

On Jul 28, 2013, at 6:58 PM, Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> The military UHF voice radio scrambling depends on accurate time, hence the Have Quick (and follow on programs) time transfer standard.
> Rb standards were used to maintain that time in the early days.
>
> The O-1814 Rb standard was used to keep time on the ground accurate so that when a plane flew in from far away the crypto would be in sync.
> http://www.prc68.com/I/O1814.shtml
>
> PS has anyone done any PIC Have Quick stuff?
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Brooke Clarke
> http://www.PRC68.com
> http://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html
>
> Brooke Clarke wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I think (3).  See:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACAMO
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Wave_Emergency_Network -> some converted to DGPS
>>
>> Have Fun,
>>
>> Brooke Clarke
>> http://www.PRC68.com
>> http://www.end2partygovernment.com/2012Issues.html
>>
>> Robert Atkinson wrote:
>>> Hi Tim,
>>> Three possible reasons for needing a Rb standard,
>>> 1/ Coherent detection with a local clock
>>> 2/ Hyperbolic navigation (local reference improves the fix and holdover)