[time-nuts] GPS Spoofing

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Jul 29 11:11:16 UTC 2013

Hi

On Jul 29, 2013, at 4:45 AM, David <t_list_1_only at braw.co.uk> wrote:

> John, Omega did make it into the 'uP age' I briefly got involved in the 80's and my first patent was for using DSPs and software radio for an Omega development . The key thing was Omega was genuinely world wide from a small chain of transmitters and one of the important users had to do their navigation while staying underwater for weeks on end, even Loran had limitations never mind satellite.

Loran-C was always a poor bet for navigating in the southern hemisphere.

> It might be the answer "the mystery Collins Ru" posting here, I remember similar items in airborne Omega receivers, the omega carrier frequencies were low but the receiver bandwidths were measured in mHz and phase error was critical hence the boxes I saw included similar references.
>
> Its rather painful to see all the warnings about GPS made 30 years ago having to be re addressed.

Indeed, all of this was gone over *many* times in the 80's. Those involved were *very* knowledgeable about all of these systems and their weaknesses. None of the decisions we are living with were made in a vacuum or without a lot of discussion.

Bob