[time-nuts] Industrial control systems and IEEE 1588v2 time sync

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Jul 31 04:19:02 UTC 2013

Group,

Has anyone used IEEE 1588 to synchronize clocks on an Ethernet network?

I was involved in the design of time sync for Foundation Fieldbus circa
2000.
We needed one millisecond accuracy, so we went with SNTP on local
networks.
I've just seen an ad for a switch that can do 1588, and looked up what
it does.

Microsecond accuracy is impressive, but what does it cost?

Industrial sensors are generally sampled at about 10 millisecond
intervals out
to several seconds. SNTP would appear to be very adequate for time
stamps as
there is uncertainty introduced by when the computer gets around to
sampling
the sensor in its sampling and control cycle.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bill Hawkins