[time-nuts] Cheap 9.8Mhz Sa.22c's

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Jun 2 19:52:13 UTC 2013

Hello Mark and crowd,

I own one of these and I can guarantee that it CANNOT be moved without changing the crystal, tweaking a
micro-minature coil value, and changing the firmware.  And NO !, the company would NOT send out the firmware
needed.  However, if you wanted to spend between $500 and $1000 they would fix it for you.

While there is a DDS inside, it and the crystal are part of Rubidium frequency locking loop.  The actual output
frequency is generated by dividers in a big ASIC/FPGA/whatever device.  YES, that output frequency is derived from
the crystal frequency.

They start by choosing a output frequency which selects the crystal frequency.  The crystal is multiplied up to some
frequency and mixed with the output of a DDS (also driven by the crystal) to produce the final frequency multiplied
further to get to the Rubidium resonance.  So, without a change in the firmware, there is no way to tweak the unit
more than a very small amount.

BUT all is not lost.  The 9.8304 MHz frequency is related to the common RS-232 modem frequencies.  It is also
related to the common sound card frequency of 24.576 MHz.  There it is possible to phase lock it to 10 MHz.

Bill....WB6BNQ