[time-nuts] Cheap 9.8Mhz Sa.22c's

David McGaw n1hac at alum.dartmouth.org
Mon Jun 3 02:38:30 UTC 2013

I bought one a while ago and have been in contact with Symmetricom. The
data sheet is confusing.  These do indeed have a 58.9824 MHz oscillator
and CANNOT be changed to 10 MHz.  They can be changed to divide by N >=
2 to include 29.4912 MHz, 9.8304 MHz, and even 32.768 kHz if you wish,
as has been said, to have a very accurate watch or RTC.

They do NOT include the PPS disciplining function.  The PPS output can
be enabled, but I have not figured out a good way to synchronize it.
PPS output does not change when the divide by N is changed.

The analog and digital frequency controls can be enabled and are functional.

A AD9851 DDS fed 29.4912 MHz and set to multiply by 6 could give
10.000000003051758 MHz, off by ~3 E-10, well within the range of the
digital control.

73,

David