[time-nuts] 59503A GPIB clock windows/linux software.

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Jun 4 05:07:41 UTC 2013

It also has an available BNC on the back, if you redo the the external
voltage in, and a couple of unused cmos buffers to give a 1 pps output.
Dob

Tom Van Baak
> Lizeth Norman wrote:
>> The 59309A can be updated via HPIB.
>> I did it two ways. The first was to use windows system time and then
>> write
>> to the instrument. The other was to poll a M12+T and get the proper
>> time.
>> Sadly, both are in Labview, and as such probably aren't much help.
>
> Hans Holzach wrote:
>> i use a 59309A as a time and date display in a setup of old HP
>> devices:
>> 10 mhz are taken from a fury gpsdo to keep the clock stable. an HP 71B
>> reads the time from the gpsdo via an HP-IL/RS-232 interface and
>> delivers
>> it to the clock via an HP-IL/HPIB interface. setting the clock looks
>> pretty cool, there is quite some action on the display! the system is
>> so
>> slow, it takes several seconds until time and date are set. sorry, no
>> linux/windows involved here...
>
> Norm and Hans,
>
> Were either of you able to sync the 59309A to better than a second? From
> the schematic it looks like the P (stoP) and T (starT) commands have 1
> second granularity and the R (Reset) command clears only the last
> MC14518 decade counter. This would suggest that one can set to within
> 100 ms, but no better.
>
> The code that I'm using (http://leapsecond.com/tools/hp59309.c) solves
> the 1 second problem but I wasn't able to get it to sync better than 0.1
> second. If you have suggestions or solved this without a soldering iron,
> let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> /tvb

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road