[time-nuts] Net4501

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 03:14:52 UTC 2013

In real life all the users of your NTP server will be network connected.
 So even if your server's offset stays within a picosecond you users have
to go over Ethernet to access it and in the end the time they get will have
microsecond level accuracy.   So other than bragging rights what do you get
with a picosecond level NTP server?

OK there are good uses for very accurate NTP servers.  That is if perhaps
you are running a data collection program ON THE SERVER.  For example I
need to time stmp zero crossings of some signal so I run a stratum 1 NTP on
the data collection computer.  If you are runing a NET4501 you are likely
not running much else on it and it is using Ethernet to your users.   So
what really do you need?

However if you can replace the CPU clock with a "time nuts grade" standards
referenced clock then the net4501 can be possibly one of the best NTP
servers out there.   But this can be said about any computer.  If you can
completely remove the temperature issue NTP becomes very stable, at the
microsecond level or better.  Even if such stability has no practical use.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Didier Juges <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got my Net4501 which I would like to turn into an NTP server. I saw
> John's description, but at the moment, I would like to try without using
> the high stability CPU oscillator option, just the PPS from one of my
> Thunderbolts.
>
> Is that even worthwhile? Will the high resolution built-in counters of the
> Elan processor be useful without the external oscillator compared to a
> plain vanilla ARM SBC?
>
> TIA
>
> Didier KO4BB
> --
> Sent from my Motorola Droid Razr 4G LTE wireless tracker while I do other
> things.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California