[time-nuts] Net4501

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jun 7 07:17:11 UTC 2013

On 06/07/2013 02:48 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> 1588 compatible network cards are capable of time stamping everything that goes in and out. They are pretty common these days both as stand alone cards and as peripherals on MCU's. There's no real need to do hardware, just come up with drivers (and all the other  software goop) to make them work with NTP. More or less the same work you would have had to do once the FPGA was done and debugged.

The ntp.org NTP daemon also have some support for such timestamping,
using the socket option(s) as provided by the kernel. I have not tried
it myself, but seen traces of support throughout Linux and NTP.

Should not be too hard to get the pieces together and actually try it.

NTP isn't all software timestamps anymore.

Cheers,
Magnus