[time-nuts] Phase noise measurement with a scope

Stefan Heinzmann stefan_heinzmann at gmx.de
Wed Jun 12 15:54:05 UTC 2013

Marek Peca wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> given that digital scopes have a multichannel ADC for acquisition,
>> which is similar to what a cross-correlating phase noise measurement
>> instrument has, it occurred to me that phase noise measurement might
>> also be possible with a standard digital scope and some
>> post-processing software. The scope usually will have only 8 bits of
>> resolution, but it will have a rather high sampling rate. With
>> oversampling math, one may be able to trade one for the other, at
>> least if the scope's analog frontend is not too bad.
>>
>> Has anyone investigated or tried this? Is it a silly idea to start with?
>
> yes, did it last week. I think it may have a sense with >1Gsps scope
> with good quality guts (should check with LC584AL at work).
>
> I have tried it with a very cheap one, Rigol 2-channel, originally
> 50MHz, reflashed to 100MHz. 2 signals, ref&measured, into Ch1, Ch2.
> Waveforms (2x500Msps) acquired, sinc() interpolated. Results:
> short-term single-shot jitter around 100ps RMS. Long-term was of no
> interest for my purpose now, so no observations here.
>
> Therefore, it is almost of no use at all for higher precision needs.

I was thinking about using a 4-channel scope with cross-spectrum
averaging. Look at the Timepod by John Miles for an example of the
method. I'm trying to guesstimate if the R&S RTO scope, perhaps with the
aid of the I/Q option, is capable of doing such measurements, and with
what kind of performance.

Cheers
Stefan