[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 Time of Day grief...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Thu Jun 13 04:37:20 UTC 2013

Paul,

Ummmm... What a revolting development this is.  My 9150-52054 have a
smaller readout out that I can't see without climbing up on my bench,
so I suppose I will no longer know what time it is.

I've never really had to delve into the 8170 so I wasn't up to speed
on how they derived the data from the carrier prior to the new PSK
format.  I was under the misunderstanding that it was strictly from
amplitude variation.  I guess it is, except for the manner in which
they determine the changes.

Please tell me about the "d-psk-r" you mentioned.  Also do you know
the times of day WWVB reverts to the old method and for how
long?  I'll have to go to their site and see.

Burt, K6OQK

At 04:46 PM 6/12/2013, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Burt
>One other tidbit the phase mod will exactly cause what you see.
>Spectracom used phase tracking to demodulate the AM time signal. Thats why
>its nuts.
>

>On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Burt
> > There is nothing wrong with your 8170. WWVB no longer allows it to work
> > correctly because of the phase modulation. They went to all psk about 1
> > month ago. They had been reverting back twice a day for things like the
> > 8170.
> > So the ole 8170 is dead.
> > You need to build something like the d-psk-r to get it going though I have
> > not had time to actually add the am phase flipper precisely for the likes
> > of a 8170. I have one also.
> > Sorry
> > Paul
> > WB8TSL
> >>
> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:35 PM, Burt I. Weiner <biwa at att.net> wrote:
> >
> >> My good old Spectracom 8170 is not setting time.  I don't use it for
> >> frequency, just as a clock for my Hazetorium.  I live about 20 minutes
> >> north of downtown Los Angles in Glendale.  The antenna I'm using is the
> >> Ferrite Rod loop in PVC that came with the 8170.  It's located on my back
> >> porch just laying on the floor with its maximum pickup direction towards
> >> Boulder, Colorado.  It has worked reliably for many years in
> that location.
> >>
> >> The symptoms are...

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services