[time-nuts] New to list and GPSDO questions

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Thu Jun 13 19:17:53 UTC 2013

Hi Paul, and everyone.  Yeah, that's a good question: how much accuracy do I want?  I'm really just looking for a relatively easy project; one that will go to successful completion and give me a sense of accomplishment.  At this moment, I have the problem of the man with two clocks.  Better than 1 Hz @ 10MHz accuracy would be good.  But, realistically, if the 5334B and 8640B both tell me the same thing, then I'll probably be happy.  I could do that with the Trimble 34310-T, a pot and a flip-flop, but then I'd feel compelled to listen to WWV on occasion and tweak the pot!  LOL  I do have OCD, so I'm getting involved with timing with more than a little trepidation.

I want this to be as low budget as is reasonably possible, barring wastage, so I think a 1PPS source and Bert's FLL are the right choice.  Is there actually a PLL circuit that works with a 1PPS reference?  I only found a very few GPSDO projects during my search, and Bert's was the only one using the 1PPS signal.  And, I just like the way he did it, right down to giving the possibility of powering the output op-amp from the VREF output of the 34310-T.  I'm assuming that won't overload it, of course, so any comments on that would be appreciated.

Bob - AE6RV