[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 Time of Day grief...(WWVB Clock)

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 13 23:02:57 UTC 2013

Joe wrote:

>In a slightly different direction, are there any commercially available 'PSK
>Compliant Atomic Clocks' out there for those of us used to looking at the
>'correct time'?
>
>Also, what, exactly, was the advantage of changing modulation formats?  That
>'killed' all the existing 'Atomic Clocks'?

No, it killed phase-locking instruments, including the Spectracom
clocks.  Most "atomic clocks" designed for time-of-day use do not,
and never did, phase lock to the WWVB carrier.  My 20-year-old
Brookstone "atomic clock" still works just as it always did (within
tens of mS AFAICT).  So should most other older "atomic clocks," and
everything currently available from the many time-of-day "atomic
clock" suppliers.

Best regards,

Charles