[time-nuts] Spectracom 8170 time clocks simple suggestion

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 16 02:38:37 UTC 2013

lists at rtty.us said:
> I think spitting the "bit" out a PC serial port line and running a 74HC
> series switch would be pretty easy. Less than $10 in parts including the
> pert board and the time to solder the roughly eight connections.

How accurate does the switching have to be?

Note that there are 2 dimensions to the answer.  One is time, how close to
the target time does the switching have to occur?

The other dimension is digital.   What happens if some of the bits are wrong?
 How many can be wrong before the 8170 won't lock?  There are a dozen bits at
the end that I'm not sure I can predict, the DST/Leap/notice stuff.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.