[time-nuts] Beaglebone NTP server

Gabs Ricalde gsricalde at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 14:00:31 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Doug Calvert
<dfc-list at douglasfcalvert.net> wrote:
> Can you explain what is different in this approach  versus the
> traditional gps/pps without needing a custom clocksource?

The default kernel uses TIMER2 for its clocksource, and is configured to
use the internal clock derived from the on-board crystal. TIMER2 does
not support event capture (hardware timestamps). The clocksource driver
uses TIMER4 (which supports event capture) configured to use an external
clock.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Jim King <jim at jimking.net> wrote:
> I don't have a BeagleBone (yet), but I'm very interested in this.  Are you
> going to post the driver somewhere when you're finished?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I will post the sources and instructions when it's ready.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Paul <tic-toc at bodosom.net> wrote:
> On Fri Jun 14 20:13:51 EDT 2013,  <Gabs Ricalde> wrote:
>> As an alternative to the Net4501, the AM335x in the Beaglebone has
>> timers ...
>> I'm finishing the clocksource driver for Linux
>
> Which distribution and which kernel are you using?

I am using the Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.05.28.img.xz
image and rebuilt the kernel (3.8.13) from https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel