[time-nuts] HP and other equipment failure

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Mon Jun 17 12:33:13 UTC 2013

The current distortion from simple transformer-rectifier-capacitor power
supplies contains a lot of third harmonic content.  In a 3 phase system (as are
all distribution systems for commercial and industrial) the third harmonic ADDS
in the neutral, or creates circulating currents in a delta configuration.  These
currents, as you mention, can get very large and were the cause of many
transformer explosions in cities as these power supplies became common.  The
transformer designs had to be improved, but the PFC supplies make a big difference.

How many of you have looked at the power line waveform, especially in an
industrial or commercial area?  Doesn't look much like a sine wave, does it?  So
it's pretty funny to see audiophile outlets
(http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/power_outlets).

Peter