[time-nuts] WWVB remodulator for the Spectracom 8170...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 22:03:29 UTC 2013

Yes the simple "re-modulator" fixes the time of day display but leaves the
frequency output about as good as the tuning fork crystal.

I think the ONLY way to make it work 100% like new is to build a new
receier that actually decodes the phase inversions and "knows" when the
carier phase is flipped.   Thenit can "un-flip" the carrier.    There is no
way to predict some of the bits, you just have to detect it in real time.
You can verify the scheme is correct because the counter will increment
each second.  So the radio can know which phase is up and which is down.

Until they sell one-chip WWVB chips using the new encoding it may not be
worth in except for those who don't trust GPS and want WWV as a backup.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz <
charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com> wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>  In a sense you could say that Paul's circuit does get the WWVB signal to
>> the receiver - it's just a new phase stable version of the signal signal.
>>  This way I don't have to mess with the insides of the 8170.
>>

> Note that the 1 MHz TTL signal on the rear panel of the 8170 will not be
> phase locked to the WWVB carrier -- it will be phase-locked to the 60 kHz
> carrier supplied by the re-modulator's crystal oscillator.
>
> One might try to injection-lock the re-modulator's crystal oscillator to
> the WWVB carrier, but presumably the PSK would work against you here.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California