[time-nuts] Grinding crystals...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jun 21 02:06:40 UTC 2013

nuts at lazygranch.com said:
> A common scheme in metal deposition measurement is to measure the frequency
> of a crystal prior to starting the deposition process, then monitoring the
> frequency shift of the crystal as the metal is sputtered.

> I was told crystals are tuned this way at the factory, but don't know this
> for a fact.

I don't have any good references, but I've seen that story several times, and
at least some of them were credible enough so that my opinion changed from
sounds-good to really-works.

-------

Many years ago (50+), I remember stories of grinding or leading crystals.  I
remember taking one apart.  It was only a few screws.  Does anybody have an
ARRL handbook from that era?

Does anybody have any estimates on what the performance of a hermetically
sealed crystal is compared to an old non-sealed mounting?  (Do they still
make the old non-sealed mounting?)

I also remember getting several crystals cut to order, one each for me and a
few friends.  That was through the local radio/TV fixit parts store, a block
or two from the high school.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.