[time-nuts] Grinding crystals...

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jun 21 12:54:27 UTC 2013

Hi

For a period of time, the USAAF was essentially shut down due to people grinding crystals and not etching them afterwords. The particles you inevitably leave behind are the issue. Etch is the only practical cure. It's also a quite effective way to move the crystal frequency small amounts. The etchants are all "will dissolve glass or your hand" sort of things, so maybe not for the average kitchen experiment. Ammonium bifluoride and water is one common etchant.

Bob