[time-nuts] WWVB remodulator for the Spectracom 8170...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sat Jun 22 05:19:36 UTC 2013

Paul,

This is probably why they sell crystals cut for 60,002 kHz and 60,005
kHz.  I ordered 10 of the 60,000 kHz crystals from DigiKey for about
a buck each.  The 60,002 and 60,005 crystals were only available in
lots of a bazillion.  It sounds like when I build the oscillator
portion of the remodulator I may to have to play a wee bit to get the
new carrier within tolerance of what the 8170 wants to see.

Sorry to hear you've been fighting a flu bug.  A lot of folks I know
have recently gone through a bought of the flu.  I had it for a week
but it was mild compared to what some folks I know went through.  I
hope you're feeling 100% real soon.

Burt, K6OQK

At 09:26 PM 6/21/2013, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Hello to the group
>Very good thread. I am recovering from a severe flu. Thats wgy I have not
>been around.
>This will be brief.
>1Hz off seems to cause an issue.
>The 60 khz xtals from mouser all seem to always be low.
>So by lowering the drive and I assume loading. The 20K resistor they come
>into range.
>Don't like this and ordered a few xtals from china. Oh lets say 50.
>Nothing says a 6 mhz xtal and divider can't work. Just adds complexity and
>cost.
>By the way the MAS 6180 is available but the distro wants an order of 50 at
>$4 each.
>I can't take on the role of purchasing and distributing the chips.
>Regards
>Paul

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services