[time-nuts] tube GPS receivers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 22 22:59:15 UTC 2013

On 6/22/13 3:28 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
> On 06/23/2013 12:04 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
>> I think that doing the PN code and correlator is something that could be
>> done with tubes (especially if you didn't want to go P-code).
>>
>> I suppose you could use a counter to record the changes in code phase as
>> you scan for the correlation peak, so that gets you your numeric code
>> phase.
>>
>> Getting doppler as a number for computation might be tricky, but you
>> could probably solve for the position and clock offset without using
>> doppler.
>>
>> Decoding the nav message at 50bps should be straight forward.
>
> All that is relatively trivial... compared to
>
>> Hmm. what about implementing the nav calculation as an analog computer.
>> ANalog multipliers were built using vacuum tubes.
>
> You will need more ummpf to do the trigonometry. If you go
> electromechanical you can do it, but it will be rough estimation
> regardless. CORDIC was made for these circumstances, to let a weak
> processing mechanism do navigation processing for airplanes. You could
> do CORDIC in tubes or relays. Bunch of transistors and diodes could make
> minor wonders in compactness.

electromechanical.. like omega receivers.  rotary transformers can do
very high quality trig functions, but do you actually need trig
functions assuming you're just solving for X,Y,Z,T.

Are you allowed to externally supply the almanac, in the form of a
electromechanical system.  The satellites are in circular orbits and
fairly stable, and with multiple satellites in the same plane.

You'd only need trig to convert X,Y,Z into lat/lon, and for us timenuts
types, do you really need lat/lon? In fact, do you even need to solve
for earth centered coordinates?  Why not work in inertial space (whether
your receiver happens to be moving in a circle at 1 rev/24 hrs or flying
in a plane at something else is sort of immaterial)

I envision something with a common shaft running at 1 rev/12 hours that
drives N rotors (one for each satellite).  there's a small motor that
sets the offset of the rotor relative to the shaft to account for small
movements along the orbit plane.  That, plus some other transformers
would give you X,Y, and Z for each satellite.

Actually, how bad would your time estimate be if you just assumed
perfect circular orbits with no higher order corrections?