[time-nuts] OT Prototype Boards

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jun 25 19:39:43 UTC 2013

bob at evoria.net said:
> If you google "25.4001 conversion" you can find lots of tables using that as
> the conversion factor online.  I don't know where the error came from or why
> it's quoted so regularly.

Thanks.  I never would have thought to search for 25.4001.  That's an amazing
calibration on the quality of information out there on the web.

I still remember 39.37 inches per meter from early school years.  I wonder
what grade that was.  I don't remember that there were any digits past 39.37
but neither do I remember that there weren't any more.  I don't remember any
discussion of accuracy back then.

My guess is that the conversion charts on the web come from somebody starting
with 39.37 rather than 25.4 and being smart enough to do the arithmetic but
not sharp enough to understand the accuracy or round-off issues.  I wonder
how many of them are carried over from before the inch was redefined in 1959
as compared to starting with 39.37.  You do have to be more than a little
geeky to pay attention to things like this.  It's under 2 ppm.

My copy of Machinery's Handbook (copyright 1984) says 100 inches is
2,540.00000 mm.  It also says 0.03937 inch/mm and 25.4 mm/inch with no
discussion of the accuracy.

At the few ppm level you have to pay attention to temperature.  (The wiki
page on micrometers discusses temperature and they are only good for 0.0001
inches, 100 ppm.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.