[time-nuts] OT Prototype Boards

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 20:24:13 UTC 2013

Your "pi" example does not work.  Pi is not a definition.   the length of
an inch has changed many times over the centuries so there have been many
definitions.  So yes 2.54 mm is the current definition but there are others
and you only have to go mack to 1958 to find that another definition of the
inch was used.

Yes the length of the inch actally changed.  So in theory any ruller or
machine tools or micrometer made in work war II era has been wrong for a
long time.   But fortunately the change was tiny at the 1/10,000th level

The lllength of the inch, foot, yard and so on all changed a little over 50
years ago so that we could have exact and easy conversions to and from the
rest of the world's units.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM, J. Forster <jfor at quikus.com> wrote:

> No. It's THE definition...  there is only one.
>
> It's not like Pi, which equals 3 for small circles.
>
> -John
>
> ===============
>

> > In message
> > <CAF_SE-Av85UZWvKP2ZeiL10DcDeohROj0WNe1D-13vaWcWtKeA at mail.gmail.com>
> > , Robert Darlington writes:
> >
> >>Machinists know that 1 inch is exactly 2.54cm or 25.4mm.  It's a
> >>definition, not a coincidence.
> >
> > The crucial word in that statement being "a" :-)
> >
> > --
> > Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
> > phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
> > FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
> > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
> > incompetence.
> > and follow the instructions there.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California