[time-nuts] +12 Volts 1A (plus a bit) supply?

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Thu Jun 27 19:30:01 UTC 2013

That's not really excessive voltage.
Given you have measured the 20V DC (average rectified voltage) at
nominal wall voltage. then you should take some -10 percent tolerance
into account. Another 3 V will be consumed by the regulator, and the
remaining 3V are probably just right to cover the ripple on the
unregulated side. You may use a smaller capacitor, just large enough for
not getting below the minimum regulator input voltage at the lowest
momentary voltage across the cap when your wall voltage is at its low
spec side...

Adrian