[time-nuts] wwvb 60 khz tuning fork crystals Some insights

David McGaw n1hac at alum.dartmouth.org
Thu Jun 27 22:41:59 UTC 2013

Lower gain is better as long as it oscillates.  The 74HCU04 is unlikely
to drive spurious responses.  The 74HC04 is OK as long as you keep the
feedback gain low - sometimes a series resistor from the output to the
resonant circuit is required.  A 74HC14 is the WRONG part for the job as
it can and will oscillate without the crystal controlling it - just try
it with a resistor for feedback and a capacitor to ground at the input,
no crystal.

David N1HAC