[time-nuts] wwvb 60 khz tuning fork crystals Some insights

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jun 28 00:22:39 UTC 2013

Hi

The U / unbuffered inverter has less delay than it's buffered cousin.

In order to get an oscillator, you need to satisfy Barkhausen's criteria:

loop gain > 1 to start up
loop gain = 1 in operation
net phase around the loop = 0 (modulo 360 degrees)

As long as the gate has more gain than the crystal network (crystal plus caps) has loss, it will start.

As long as the delay through the gate isn't to crazy, it will oscillate with about a 180 degree phase shift on the crystal network, and 180 degrees through the inverter.

In order to start, you want to get the inverter in it's linear region. That's not at all easy with a schmitt trigger. Much easier with a normal inverter.

Bob