[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 15:49:45 UTC 2013

OK, good specs.    The The Raspberry Pi should work. They cost about $40
each.

The Atom is about $100 and has just over your 5 watt limit but is very much
easier to set up, becuase it is just a standard PC and can run a "normal"
version of Linux or BSD Unix.

I'd go with a Pi for NTP but if you need any other kind of server, perhaps
a NAS for backups then go with Atom and it can run multiple services and
still keep very good time.    I had one doing this until recently when the
mainboard failed after years of running 24x7

It must be a system < 5 watt, so probably an ARM system. It will only
> run ntpd so not much ram is required.
> It will have 10 (ntp-)clients so a very powerfull processor is not
> required.
>

> Folkert van Heusden
>
> --

Chris Albertson