[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jun 30 00:14:05 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

On 06/30/2013 01:50 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
>  From what I've seen, a 50 ohm load on the 8th port of an 8 port splitter does a pretty god job of doing the DC correction. No need for an inductor, everything matches up just fine.
>
> Since you have an amp in the antenna, you don't *always* need an amp in front of the splitter. A lot depends on how much cable loss you happen to have (and the gain of the amp in the antenna). With a modest amount of cable (<  50') eight port splitters seem to work pretty well.

 From my experience, what is needed depends on the GPS receiver and it
expectance of the antenna current. Some may need that extra load.

The DC load may not match 50 Ohm.

For an antenna-splitter to be gain-neutral it needs an amplifier. If you
have good conditions, you do not need it. But I have been fighting gain
problems and seen how it limits my ability to lock-up.

Cheers,
Magnus