[time-nuts] GPS antenna splitter

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sun Jun 30 00:33:21 UTC 2013

Hi

With an 8 port splitter, each of the 7 GPS's sees 50 x 7 = 350 ohms. That's pretty close to the "typical" 330 ohm load that gives you around 15 ma of sense current. The antennas pull a wide range of currents, so there is not a "one size fits all" sort of load.

If your antenna has 36 db of gain, an 8 port should use up about 9 db of that. There's still a lot of gain left to have >=10 db past the loss. If your receiver is a modern one it should have a 1 to 2 db noise figure. If the antenna is at 0.3 db (pretty good antenna) then 10 db is plenty.

Bob