[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Jun 30 12:14:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:28:44 +0200
folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> It must be a system < 5 watt, so probably an ARM system. It will only
> run ntpd so not much ram is required.
> It will have 10 (ntp-)clients so a very powerfull processor is not
> required.

Get a board with a modern uC that has an ethernet interface and
32bit capture/compare unit, and a cheap, low power gps module and
you get to <1W including all losses.

eg:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/ARM/ST/STM32-E407/
plus
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-6M-GPS-Module-w-Antenna-For-Arduino-MWC-IMU-Multi-Rabbit-Flight-A100-/261165592580

As OS i would suggest using nuttx or similar to get all the ground work.
I've also seen some uC ntp implementations, but i cannot find them currently.

Oh.. and if you want to go the linux way and use a Raspberry Pi.. just dont!
Use a Beaglebone black instead. It uses less power and is easier to deal with.
Not to mention that you dont have all those USB related problems.

There has been some discussion about using the BBB as an NTP server in
the past weeks on this list.

			Attila Kinali

--
The people on 4chan are like brilliant psychologists
who also happen to be insane and gross.