[time-nuts] Regulator choices

Brian Alsop alsopb at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 30 15:48:42 UTC 2013

Maybe I read the original posting wrong but I think this thread has
departed greatly from the original posting.

What I thought the posting said:
1) The already present transformer can produce ~20 V DC unregulated at
sufficient current.
2) The desire was to have a 12 V regulated at somewhat greater than 1 amp.

Though it wasn't raised in the first posting.  A clean, non-switching
supply was desirable for the poster.

Thus, it isn't a case of attaching one regulator in series with another

Regards
Brian
On 6/30/2013 14:43, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
> A three-terminal regulator (3TR) comprises (i) a voltage reference, (ii)
> an error amp, and (iii) a current amplifier.  There is no need to
> duplicate the voltage reference or the error amp just because you need
> more current.  In fact, they can only lead to problems with current
> sharing and/or oscillation.  If the need is simply more current, add an
> external pass device.  It may not be quite as easy as piling on more
> 3TRs (i.e., it takes a little thought), but at the several-ampere level
> it will almost certainly be cheaper.  In many cases, the design is
> already done -- there are hundreds, if not thousands, of example
> circuits in manufacturers' app notes, which are easily found on the Web.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Charles

-----
No virus found in this message.