[time-nuts] Typical HP 5370B resolution ?

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 3 17:49:17 UTC 2013

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I am typically measuring 5 or 10 Mhz sine waves with levels between 1 and 4 volts peak to peak into a 50 ohm load.

To expand on my first email  with suitable input signals I can see the 20 ps resolution of the HP5370B on a "strip chart" from time lab without any further effort.   So far other than re seating the cards (which cured some lock up issues on a few of them) I haven't really done any maintenance to my HP5370's.   I'm also using a 5 Mhz BVA as the reference oscillator for the HP5370B's in question which seems to improve things vis a vis the internal 10811's.   At some point when I have some more time I'll delve into the reference oscillator matter in more detail as I'm a bit surprised at this.

Magnus your suggestion to try attenuating the input signals makes a lot sense and I will try this as different signal levels do seem to make a difference.

Re the other recent post re cable issues I've also encountered similar issues in the past and typically use RG400 double shielded cables.

Regards Mark S
Sent from my iPad