[time-nuts] Don't use cheap cables -- a cautionary tale

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sun Mar 3 18:49:17 UTC 2013

Yes, we all have to learn that lesson...

At the time I use bedea RG-223 and Belden H155 with soldered and crimped
Telegaertner BNC connectors as general purpose cable (up to 2 GHz).
Above that frequency I wouldn't use BNC. If you simply connect your
tracking generator with the spectrum analyzer by using such a BNC cable
there's not one that is absolutely stable when stressing the connector.
I tried several manufacturers, HP, Suhner, Radiall, Rosenberger, it's
always the same.

To make precise measurements I prefer screwed connectors like N or SMA.

Volker