[time-nuts] Subject: Re: Don't use cheap cables -- a cautionary tale

Brucekareen at aol.com Brucekareen at aol.com
Tue Mar 5 23:54:05 UTC 2013

I would like to add to Bob Camp's comment about twisted pair.

In the past I used to provide one-turn resonant loop antennas for AM
broadcasters who needed to monitor signals from their transmitters at studio
facilities in electrically noisy urban buildings.  The three-foot diameter
resonant-loops were grounded at the centerpoint and provided low noise
reception, but this was degraded if a coaxial lead-in was used.  A workable
solution turned out to be shielded audio cables.  These seemed to have a
characteristic impedance of about 150 ohms.  At the receiving end we used  ferrite
150-ohm balanced to 50-ohm unbalanced transformers.  With the  balanced
circuit and shielded audio cable, very long runs could be employed with  little
noise pickup.

Bruce, KG6OJI