[time-nuts] Don't use cheap cables -- a cautionary tale (Bob Camp)

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed Mar 6 13:02:17 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 11:33,  <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:
> At what frequency do these "problems" appear?  And how bad it bad?

My interest for VNA calibration and verification kits is probably well
outside most time-nut uses. I normally test N connectors from 50 MHz
to 6 GHz. 50 MHz is the lower limit of my HP 8720D (20 GHz) VNA and 6
GHz is the upper limited of my N calibration kit (HP 85032B).

To give a couple of figures.

1) Huber and Suhner female-female barrel, which is the most expensive
I tried (15.26 GBP), has a worst case return loss of just 17.2 dB.
2) TE Connectivity the cheapest I tried at just  £2.84 GBP, had a
return loss of 35.1 dB.
2) Telegartner, mid-priced at 6.68 GBP had a return loss of 38.9 dB.

So a mid-priced one was better than both the expensive and cheapest
choice. All are based on a saaple of two, and worst case results
quoted above. I did not find much variation between two of the same
manufacturer.

Although I don't have exact data in front of me, as I'd need to go
through the individual data files which I can't be bothered to do, all
were very good at low frequencies (say 500 MHz or less).

The worst case is not always at the highest frequency, although the
performance at 6 GHz is always worst than at 50 MHz.

All data was colllected by use of

* HP 8720D VNA within its calibration period.
* Agilent 3.5 mm test port cables on the VNA (over $5000 a pair)
* Metrology grade 3.5 mm to N adapters
* HP 85032B N calibration kit.

Since the N calibration kit was after the metrology grade 3.5 mm -> N
adapters, any issues with those adapters would be removed by the VNA
calibration routine.

I've seen some Americans make comments like "if it does not have
Ampenol printed on it, then avoid it". I'm not German, but the
mid-priced German made Telegartner F-F adapter was the best. See
pictures at the bottom of

http://www.vnacalibration.co.uk/support/NCV032B/HP/

For qualtiy of the threads, the Chinese made Huber and Suhner device
was the best, but it was by far the most expensive.

The 85032B comes with 4 APC-7 to N metrology grade adapters. They can
be assembled to make any N adapter you want (male-female, male-male,
female-female). These always provide better peformance than any
commerical grade connectors I mention above, but such devices are far
too expensive for the kit I use, which I sell at less than the price
of the adapters.

I would never use an adapter for a critical high frequency application
without testing it first.

BTW, I used to work in a Ministry of Defence calibration lab in the
UK. They always removed the rubber washers in N connectors. I notice
the metrology grade adapters don't have these, and Joel Dunsmore,
Agilent top VNA guru, reccomeneds in his book on VNAs to do the same.

Dave