[time-nuts] HP53132A vs SR625

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sun Mar 17 19:47:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just powered on my SR and looked for the offset, when the 10 MHz
reference is connected to the input (at a gate time of 1s without
further averaging). It shows an offset of 0 to 400uHz which should
represent a mean error of 2E-11, while the manual predicts an error of
about 1E-10 (as Said told us, and as my manual tells me). That's within
the spec.

Unfortunately I don't have a 53132, but the manual of the HP predicts an
error of E-10 - just the same value as with the SR.

If I was a manufacturer of such a counter, I wouldn't show the digits
beneath the predicted error, but SR does: it shows 13 digits. How many
digits does the HP show? Could it be, that the HP shows one or two
digits less at this measurement? With only 11 digits displayed, the SR
wouldn't show any offset, too.

By the way, HP's 100ps isn't the worst case value - that is 500ps.

So, what's the big difference beetween them?
- the predicted error is the same for both (or am I wrong?).
- my SR is within it's specification at 10 MHz (I did the calibration
myself).
- the uncertain digits (below 1mHz, in this case) are within the error
spec, and I guess they are uncertain because they come from an analog
circuitry (namely the interpolation circuitry). The statement, that a
counter only has to count zero crossings and nothing else, isn't right
at that point, and that's the case for both,
- and they both have to deal with the analog stuff, such as noise and so on

Again, since I don't have a 53132 I can't compare the counters directly,
I was just a little concerned about a discussion - no offense! - that
compares apples and oranges.

Thank you for a still inspiring discussion!

Volker