[time-nuts] Repair of PRS10 Lamp Assembly

"Dr. Götz Romahn" goetz at g-romahn.de
Wed Mar 20 17:02:56 UTC 2013

Thanks for all your comments so far. I did sniffing with a cable loop
located in the lamp cell (thank you Bob for this advice), and surprise
(!) RF power does not degrade with time but does stay rock solid after
ignition. So, sorry Bob, you did not win the bet this time. Next step
should be to check, what is going on with heating. Not so easy since all
the many diagnostics are within range. As a provisory measure I decided
to cheat the lamp heat regulator somehow by paralleling a 39 KOhm
resistor to R226 an thereby shifting the operating point of the
thermistors in lamp assembly. PPR10, when started properly, now seems to
work as expected.
One comment to the lamp starting algorithm: oscillator FET drain and
gate voltage are controlled via factory set values but not on an
individual basis. All lamps are started with FET voltage set to maximum
available via SD2=255  and after inginition to some reduced value also
via SD2=55. So there is no need to change set values for different lamp
assemblies.
Goetz

Am 18.03.2013 01:34, :