[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 24 06:27:37 UTC 2013

From: Anthony G. Atkielski
[]
I've been running XP for years using its built-in simple NTP client to
query the NTP server on my server, which in turn synchronizes with a
variety of NTP sources on the Net.
[]
Anthony

Folks,

I'm surprised by how many "time-nuts" are not using the reference NTP port
for Windows, considering the many advantages it has over the simple (non
conformant and non-manageable) client built into Windows).  I made some
notes here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

You can then use the same management tools (ntpq) and configuration
expertise you have on you UNIX, Linux, FreeBSD etc. systems.  Serial-port
PPS devices are supported, allowing you to make stratum-1 clocks on Windows
with performances down to the 100-200 microsecond level:

PCs Alta Bacchus Feenix and Stamsund
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

and with Windows-8, network synced PCs with offsets typically below 250
microseconds even over Wi-Fi sync, PC Bergen:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu