[time-nuts] Win XP and NIST time

lists at lazygranch.com lists at lazygranch.com
Sun Mar 24 17:08:13 UTC 2013

MS has/had a program to verify if your hardware would run win7. It has been too many years for me to recall the name. But if you are running really old hardware, it makes sense at some point just to dump it if you run it 24 and 7, if only for the cost of electricity (well depending where you live.)

MS does not make OS switching economical. I'd say the cheapest version of win7 you should get is PRO since it has all the XP fallback hook.

Win7 is missing a few features of older MS operation systems. The search feature is gone, but you can run a free program called "everything". It is so fast, you can turn off indexing. Also gone is hyperterminal, but you can run terraterm, also free.

I have a dual core intel atom for 24/7 use. With SSD and 4G of Ram, it used 25 watts. D525 processor.

I've also been running linux on Arm. Even less power.