[time-nuts] Brooks Shera

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 16:33:39 UTC 2013

> A system like that would protect the author, but ensure that in the
> event of their death, the code is public. That license could be GPL,
> freeware of whatever else the author choses. I suspect Brooks Shera
> would have agreed to do something like that.

We don't have to guess.  Brooks wrote near the top of his source code
file that it is "Free for noncommercial use".  He gave it away to
anyone who asked.  But because he made pre programmed chips available
apparently not many people asked.

I think for many people a programmed PIC is simply a "magic black box"
and assembly language source code is no more readable than the HEX
file.  So I doubt many builders asked for the code not when the magic
boxes where available for a few bucks.

But if you do look at it, it read "free for noncommercial use."   So
we don't have to guess at what he would have wanted.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California